02 March 2016

The Three Furies of Heaven – Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

The Furies of Greek mythology were gods who chased those who had committed crimes against physical and moral order of things.  Alecto embodies rage and mania delivering the punishment of moral crimes. Tisiphone is the visage of revenge to killings.  Megaera personifies hatred and envy. 

The Greeks understood the need for retribution against sin.  They also spent a lot of time telling stories about avoiding those penalties.  In most cultures there are stories that reflect the understating that wrong doing has consequences.  Conscience pursues us in some way no matter what we believe.

We know at a basic level what right and wrong is.  We all accept or reject that understanding based on our beliefs and upbringing.  Society sees a moving standard of what is good and bad based on the current culture.

God takes a different approach.  He sets clear standards for right and wrong based on who he is.  He also pursues us with his own furies.  They are ravenous and inescapable.  In considering the death of Christ in preparation for Holy Week I am pondering the furies of heaven. 

As I ponder them I need to see how they pursue me.  I need to asses why I sometimes run from them when what they wish is to further connect me to Christ.  I cannot follow Jesus and run from the furies.  Walk with me a bit Dear Reader as we ponder that which pursues us for God.  As always I cherish your thoughts.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment