08 March 2016

Second Thoughts – What Am I Going To Do

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

Whilst walking outside today enjoying the sunshine I fell in step with four young ladies who were on break from a convention.  The walkway on which we trod could easily carry twenty abreast so walking beside them was neither cumbersome nor awkward.  They were talking about social media and their various levels of addiction to it.

One mentioned that she is constantly stressed over making sure that her Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter are up to date.  My thought was that there was a way to automate that.  I refrained from telling her.

Another of the ladies spoke about the week she has lost her phone and how lost she felt without it.  She went on to say how long it took her to catch up on everything.  I refrained from mentioning that she could use a computer to keep current were her phone unavailable.

A third young lady in the group gasped at this.  She speculated that she would be horrified were she to be off of Facebook for a week.  She actually said, “I have no idea what I would do with my time.  I would have nothing to do at all.”

My thought was, “They make the odd rectangular objects call books.  As long as one has light one can read them and learn things or go on great adventures in our minds.  Books can take you places a starship can never venture.”  I did not refrain from telling her this. 

Her response was that she has to read books for college so she does not want to read when she does not have to read them.  It saddens me greatly that as a species we are losing the value of reading for leisure and pleasure.  It saddens me more that social media is more important than books. 

The value of reading is so important to our society.   I have a friend Ben whose example as a reader constantly challenges me to do more.  I assure that I read so that my brain has fodder for my writing.

Books change us.  They teach and guide.  The reward and warn.  If you dare you should read more.  I know I am going to do so.  If you are looking for a book or two to get you started I have some out there. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment