15 January 2018

Anti-Social Media ~ Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

First, a little data to get us started on this section of the path.   It often helps to know the terrain before one traverses it.  The data comes from Hootsuite
  • 2.8 billion people were using social media by the end of 2016, up 21 percent from 2015.
  • Social media use on mobile increased by 30 percent year-over-year in 2016, surpassing 2.5 billion users globally (91 percent of all social media users).
  • 83 percent of Americans have a social media account.
  • In the U.K., 77 percent of people have a social media account.
  • In the Asia-Pacific region (APAC), social media growth rates increased by over 50 percent year-on-year in 2016.
  • More than 1.5 billion people across APAC now use social media on a monthly basis, 95 percent of whom access social via mobile—the highest ratio in the world.
  • Social media use in Europe grew by five percent to pass 400 million users across the continent, 85 percent of whom access social on mobile platforms each month.

This sounds like a great many people because it is.  We are given very much because of the ease of access and plentitude of information via social media.  Too often what is posted is unkind or untrue.  At best we often get only part of the story.  At worst we get complete fabrications intended to manipulate our thinking.

I admit that social media has value.  I use it daily for communication and work.  I must, however, be vigilant to be accurate, honest, and careful.  I must not get caught up in things that are not reflective of who Christ is.  I must be accountable and responsible for what I take in and what I send out. 

For a few days I will examine some of the ills that are there to be avoided along the way.  I will review the framework that guides my thinking and writing in this arena.  It is simple to join the cacophony of voices shouting in print and photo about this or that issue.  It is easy to catch the virulent voices vilifying this or that person.  The challenge is to remain a voice set apart for love and truth; for kindness and acceptance.

Journey with me Dear Reader.  I need your company and counsel.  I also highly value your presence.   

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment