04 June 2018

Fellow Travelers ~ Aliens and Strangers


Greetings Dear Reader,

I was shopping at the local grocer last week.  I watched, amused, as a fellow shopper walked a circuit of two isles three times.  Moved to compassion I asked if she needed help finding something. 

Greeted with a radiant smile, she responded that she was trying to remember if she forgot something.  We chatted a moment about this common grocery store malady.  The shared laugh and interaction were met with kind gratitude for my caring enough to ask. 

As I was pondering this series on fellow travelers this moment reinforced the vital nature of the moments when we travel with those we do not know.  Whether it is standing in line to pay for my groceries or a conjunction of paths at the park, it is vital that we recognize the opportunity to share kindness with momentary fellow travelers. 

We are given the opportunity to, at minimum, be good to someone.  Sometimes, we are given the chance to make a difference in another life.  I have life-long friends that are in that position because one of us took the chance to just be kind to the other when we fell in step on the journey.

I am alive because a stranger saw me and had compassion when I was much younger.  As one who used to feed on anger and pain, dining on kindness and being good to others is much more satisfying.  I may never know what the outcome of my kindness to strangers is.  What matters is that when we share the path, that I am aware of the need to be kind live it out whilst we travel together.  When I do so I feel very good.  That is a good enough reason on its own.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment