06 June 2018

Fellow Travelers ~ Compartmentalizing


Greetings Dear Reader,

We put our fellow travelers in boxes, or perhaps bubbles.  It would be difficult to travel in a box.  Still we compartmentalize our relationships into areas that are comfortable for us.

In some ways doing this is necessary.  One does not have the same relationship with everyone.  Some compartments are necessary and good.  Some are more important than others.  The trouble is that we also form compartments with fellow travelers that are unhealthy.

I had a co-worker once tell me that it is allowable to lie to another group of co-workers because they do not really understand the technology.  Since lying is inherently wrong to treat any fellow traveler this way is to create barriers and risk.  The other thing that it does is that it withholds love and kindness to someone for the purpose of gain. 

All of my fellow travelers are entitled to love and respect.  When I compartmentalize them into groups that do not get this I am harming everyone involved.  This extends to how I view those who disagree with me socially, politically, and in faith.  There are natural and chosen differences but none of them require me to compartmentalize my fellow travelers in a way that harms them.

The journey is difficult and we need each other.  If I relegate someone to a bubble of rejection then I lose out on the uniqueness of his or her gifts.  I miss out on the things they bring to the journey that I need. 

We need each other more that we admit.  I cannot travel alone.  Since I do not always know what I need, it is vital that I not ignore the potential of others.  It might be that their gifts fit my need in the moment.  Better still, it might be that my kindness can reach through the bubbles they create and help burst them.  That is always a beautiful thing.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)


Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             


1 comment:

  1. Of course. Aramis, your tech friend is right. It is much easier to lie than to expend the energy and thought necessary to understand the "other" and translate whatever technobable you hold dear into terms and concepts he or she might understand. You might consider that love and respect for another in action. Of, course as it often is it is also self serving, because when the person you disrespected with a lie, tells your lie to his or her boss, who ends up looking lie a knucklehead? Respect your fellow travelers. They are the gifts we are given to make the journey a joy.

    ReplyDelete