21 June 2018

Say Something ~ The Strategy of Silence


Greetings Dear Reader,

My Grandfather used to tell me, “It often shows a fine command of the language to say nothing.”  He usually did this when he wished for me to listen instead of talk.  He also mastered the art of saying nothing in a way that gave deafening approval.

When I threw my first successful curve ball, he tossed the pitch back to me without a word and gave me the two sign for another one.  He repeated this six times allowing me to master the move and the feel without instruction or interruption.  His strategy of silence let me know that he was there but that I was the focus.

Sometimes the best way to say something is to say nothing.  We can encourage and show approval without a word.  We put others at ease or reveal that we are patient with silence if we work at it.  We even have a family signal to tell each other “I love you” without a word. 

We can and do say so much with silent communication.  Perhaps we should be more intentional about it.  It is possible to discipline ourselves to communicate silently in a way that builds up and benefits others.  It is a matter of choice and action.

I work at practicing this.  I strive to put people at ease with kind gestures and actions.  I can do more.  I can be more intentional in showing love, patience, and kindness without words.  I can encourage through silence and build up others.  I want to say something powerful and good even when I am employing a strategy of silence. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment