17 August 2018

Negating Needs ~ Companions


Greetings Dear Reader,

I know that I have stated many times how much I abhor living alone.   There are many reasons for this and most of them are deeply personal.  It is not something I will redress here.  What I do need to consider is what my genuine needs are as regards companions.

We are designed to be social people.  We do better when we care for each other and share good things with each other.  When I am out and the world my focus is to be that of showing kindness, grace, and love to everyone.  When I am back at my abode, however, there is something about isolation that is difficult for me.

Even though I hate this, it does not mean that there is a genuine need there.  I am not saying that I do not have a genuine need for companionship and family.  I am saying that I must define clearly where need ends and want begins.  Even in the deep feelings of isolation and the torment I feel over it, it is very clear that I define wants his needs.

If I am going to be all that I should be, then I must squelch the wants that are not needs.  This is much easier to say than to put into place.  Perhaps the question I can put up against those feelings is one that I use against filtering other activities.  The question is, “Who does it serve?”

Everything about my life should be focused on lovingly serving Christ and the needs of others.  Beyond that, I’m supposed to count on Christ to meet my needs.  Even if my wants have good and honest motivation, if they are not needs, I must strip them away because it is not me that determines things.

I think that we all across the barrier between want and need when it comes to good things.  Just because I want peace of mind about something does not mean that I need it.  Instead, I must use my faith to realize that I and exercising a want and not trying to meet a need.  I think that many of the things we do to damage close relationships are involved in forgetting where this line is.

I can only become my best self and every moment if I constantly am aware of the difference between wanting to know and needing to have faith.  It really is the essence of following Christ that this difference matters.  If I am to acknowledge Christ in a all my ways, it must go is deep as the very core of my wanting to know that things are OK.  It must reach all the way to my worry, doubts, and fears.

I do need friends and companions.  I do need fellow travelers.  This does not mean that I get to define them the way I want to.  It does not mean that I can place demands on anyone and then say I am doing it out of care for them.  The answer of the question of who it serves becomes me.  That is not following in faith.  So, as frightening as it may be I must strip away everything that is an interpersonal one and not a genuine need.  I must not exercise my wants because then they become stronger and represent themselves as needs.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment