31 October 2013

Preparing for Advent – Divergent but Parallel Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

On this night I find little use for costumes and candy.  I will dress up as part of my work tradition and hopefully get to see my Grandsons trick or treat.  What occupies my thoughts today in preparing for Advent is the souls of men and the state of the Church.

I had an interesting conversation yesterday about redemption.  I do not think I ever imagined that in my lifetime people would move so far from understanding their need for reclamation.  I do not think it proper to use fear and threats to manipulate people into seeing their need for Christ.  This does not change that we need a redeemer.  It does not change that we live in a world conflicted with God and requiring his intervention.

I care deeply about the lives of those around me but I care more about what comes next.  All of my attempts
to follow Christ here have as one of the purposes to help others see the love and grace of God.  I know that God wishes reconciliation of all things and everyone.  On All Hallows Eve it important for me to hallow or set apart my heart to this task.  It is the time in which I begin to think of the Advent of Christ in terms of our redemption.  I begin setting apart time, resources, and other things for the purpose of the beginning of Christ’s role in the redemption story.

The other thing on my mind today and every October 31st is the Reformation.  I feel that the church is so deeply in need of reformation again.  At one time I thought I knew the man who would begin this but he has given up the quest.  It is not that the Church is bad.  It seems to in large part to have lost its way. 

It seems to be slumbering in ignorance to the needs of a world that is dying without Christ.  I am not saying there are no good churches.  I am saying that the church seems ineffective in many ways when it should be leading the cause to tend to the woes of the world.  I am not attacking anyone or any denomination.  I am concerned that Christ followers tolerate so many needs of others not being addressed.  We need to wake up before we become irrelevant.


Do you see, do you see
All the people sinking down
Don't you care, don't you care
Are you gonna let them drown

How can you be so numb
Not to care if they come
You close your eyes
And pretend the job's done

"Oh bless me Lord, bless me Lord"
You know it's all I ever hear
No one aches, no one hurts
No one even sheds one tear

But He cries, He weeps, He bleeds
And He cares for your needs
And you just lay back
And keep soaking it in,
Oh, can't you see it's such a sin?

Cause He brings people to you door,
And you turn them away
As you smile and say,
"God bless you, be at peace"
And all heaven just weeps
Cause Jesus came to your door
You've left him out on the streets

Open up open up
And give yourself away
You see the need, you hear the cries
So how can you delay

God's calling and you're the one
But like Jonah you run
He's told you to speak
But you keep holding it in,
Oh can't you see it's such a sin?

The world is sleeping in the dark
That the church just can't fight
Cause it's asleep in the light
How can you be so dead
When you've been so well fed
Jesus rose from the grave
And you, you can't even get out of bed

Oh, Jesus rose from the dead
Come on, get out of your bed

How can you be so numb
Not to care if they come
You close your eyes
And pretend the job's done
You close your eyes
And pretend the job's done

Don't close your eyes
Don't pretend the jobs done
Come away, come away, come away with Me my love,
Come away, from this mess, come away with Me, my love.


Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

2 comments:

  1. wake up before we become irrelevant. Yes. But then I see the need and it's too easy to become overwhelmed and no do anything. I know I am not alone in this....how do we get the church to start small and allow all of our small steps to be something amazing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,

    This is a great question. I think that is why we need to only be focused on our portion of the journey. I must assure that I am doing all that I can to follow Christ and lovingly influence those around me to do so as well. When it comes to other Christ followers I must gently and kindly refuse to follow things that do not advance the Gospel. The massive nature of the need should not overwhelm us because God does not ask any individual to do it all. Sind the call is one of community, we need to keep following and being an example both in and out of that community. If we focus on Christ and not the task we will be able to advance with him. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete