08 October 2013

Songs That Sustain Me – The Prayer of Saint Francis

Greetings Dear Reader,

This is one of those songs that reaches so deeply into me.  We cannot verify that Francis of Assisi ever knew these words in any language.  The first verifiable copy of it dates to the World War One era.  I believe it does reflect the character of the monk who shares the name.

What this song does for me is remind me who I am to be as a follower of Jesus Christ.  I truly wish to always have these attitudes.  I wrote extensively about this during the summer of 2011.  I probably sing or listen to this song daily.  I cannot say for sure but I am almost certain. 

The link below is to Sarah MacLauchlan’s very haunting rendition of the song.  I will listen to it over and over when I am struggling with an aspect of the life it asks me to live.  I want to be someone who sows love, pardon, truth, faith, hope, light, and joy in others.  I wish to console, understand, love, give, and pardon others in a way that evidences that I have died to my own wants and desires.  I want others to know they are valued and loved. 

This simple short song sustains me when I am struggling at being what I should be in Christ.  Give it a listen and let me know what you think. 


Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace;
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is error, the truth;
Where there is doubt, the faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
And where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master, Grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled, as to console;
To be understood, as to understand;
To be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment