30 October 2013

Preparing for Advent – First Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

I realize that Christmas is two months away.  Since I endeavor to live a little bit of Christmas every day I am going to spend the next month preparing my heart for the Advent season.  The Advent of Christ in human form is the beginning of the physical aspect of our redemption.  For me, it is never too early for Christmas and there is always time for another Christmas song.

I agree with most who think that the commercial part of the Christmas season is mostly rubbish.  I do love giving gifts to people and the celebration of the season.  I love the idea that it is a key part of a process: our reclamation.  I love thinking about who Jesus is and what he has to offer.  So much of who I am as a Christ follower has its advent in the story of Christmas. 

It is the journey to Christ that drives me to identify with this story so strongly.  Whether shepherd or magi I am the one who comes to the one who came to me.  I must seek the truth with all my heart.  I must see Jesus for who he is and not for what I wish him to be or what I hear others say he is.

I promise not to get to entrenched in the Christmas part of my preparation until after Thanksgiving.  I will, however, submit that there is always time for Another Christmas Song.  There is never a day when I do not wish for peace for all the world.  There is not a day when the story of God loving me enough to give his own Son for me does not tug at my heart.

The journey will be long but hopefully you will all enjoy some of it.  As always I value your thoughts.  


Hope everybody's ringing on their own bell, this fine morning.
Hope everyone's connected to that long distance phone.
Old Man, he's a mountain.
Old Man, he's an island.
Old Man, he's a-waking says
"I'm going to call, call all my children home."

Hope everybody's dancing to their own drum this fine morning ---
the beat of distant Africa or a Polish factory town.
Old Man, he's calling for his supper.
He's calling for his whisky.
Calling for his sons and daughters, yeah ---
Calling, calling all his children round.

Sharp ears are tuned in to the drones and chanters warming.
Mist blowing round some headland, somewhere in your memory.
Everyone is from somewhere ---
even if you've never been there.
So take a minute to remember the part of you
that might be the Old Man calling me.

How many wars you're fighting out there, this Winter's morning?
Maybe it's always time for another Christmas song.
Old Man he's asleep now.
He's got appointments to keep now.
Dreaming of his sons and daughters, and proving ---
proving that the blood is strong.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. yay! I love Christmas and look forward to your musings.

    ReplyDelete