06 June 2015

Impossible Dreams – Fools for Christ

Greetings Dear Reader,

Too often to keep it from getting to my heart I am reminded that there are those who think my faith is foolish.  Someone reminded me this week that it is foolish to follow Christ and that we are in a post-Christian era. 

Even if it is madness I will never abandon my faith.   I would rather be wrong and continue to learn to love and be good to others than abandon my foundation for those actions.  I said this to my detractor and he pointed out that his atheism is why he does not need to worry about such things. 

I do struggle at times with the harder parts of living out my faith.  I was, however, warned.  Jesus said that we would be hated, used, and marginalized.  We are to realize that we are blessed by this.  We are to find the joy in these moments because we are in the company of the own we follow.

I do not want to skip that the Church has failed to be what it must be in many ways.  The stereotypes and prejudice that lump together those who call themselves Christians is not deserved.  The problem is that our goodness does not echo so loudly that the stereotypes do not seem foolish.

We follow someone who holds out a cross and a crown.  We live in the paradox of foolishness.  No matter what others do to me I must be willing to remain constant in that foolishness.  After all, if I truly follow Christ and am wrong I have lost nothing.  I have in fact gained.  I may make a life or two better.

Imagine a world where everyone responds to everything lovingly.  This is a worthy goal.  It seems an impossible dream but God promises we will get there.  He also promises that the price of getting there is very high.

God’s Own Fool – Michael Card

Seems I've imagined Him all of my life
As the wisest of all of mankind
But if God's Holy wisdom is foolish to men
He must have seemed out of His mind

For even His family said He was mad
And the priests said a demon's to blame
But God in the form of this angry young man
Could not have seemed perfectly sane

When we in our foolishness thought we were wise
He played the fool and He opened our eyes
When we in our weakness believed we were strong
He became helpless to show we were wrong
And so we follow God's own fool
For only the foolish can tell-
Believe the unbelievable
And come be a fool as well

So come lose your life for a carpenter's son
For a madman who died for a dream
And you'll have the faith His first followers had
And you'll feel the weight of the beam
So surrender the hunger to say you must know
Have the courage to say I believe

For the power of paradox opens your eyes
And blinds those who say they can see

When we in our foolishness thought we were wise
He played the fool and He opened our eyes
When we in our weakness believed we were strong
He became helpless to show we were wrong
And so we follow God's own fool
For only the foolish can tell-
Believe the unbelievable
And come be a fool as well

So we follow God's own Fool
For only the foolish can tell
Believe the unbelievable,
And come be a fool as well

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment