28 June 2015

Second Thoughts – The Gay Marriage Ruling

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

As with almost everything I post here I am pondering what I should think, feel, and do concerning the recent ruling by the Supreme Court.  The first thing that I felt was sadness for the division that would deepen in our nation.  The second thought I had was regret for how badly some of my fellow Christ followers would behave.  Sadly they have not disappointed me.

I think that the court has overstepped its authority and I fear for the implications that will arise from it.  I am not an expert on constitutional law nor can I say that I am qualified to interpret every aspect of this issue.  That is not my focus anyway.

My personal feelings about the question of same gender marriage are not what matter either.  I have a responsibility to everyone who identifies as anything other than heterosexual.  This responsibility is unavoidable and ordained by God.  I must live it out with extreme prejudice.  It is identical to my responsibility to my fellow humans who are heterosexual.

You see I believe those who oppose same gender marriage and are Christ followers are to blame for the situation in which we find ourselves.  If we treat any subculture of the human race badly we are not following Christ and should not be surprised when things turn out in a way we do not want them to turn out.

If Christ followers want to be heard by other communities and social groups they need to earn the right to be heard.   I do not have to agree with the morality of something to treat the people involved well.  I want everyone to have the same rights under the law.  I want everyone to have insurance, benefits, healthcare, and social recognition. 

We do not live in a theocracy. We live in democratic republic.   It is not my protesting, rejection, and criticism that should influence the law.  It should be my reputation for love and compassion.  The Church should be leading the way in combating true prejudice and social needs.  We do not.  We relegated social issues that are the Church’s responsibility to the government.  We should not be surprised that they did not carry our faith and morals with them. 

We are in a situation of our own creation.   We are not called to judge, condemn, and alienate.  We are required to love.  We are required to show compassion.  It is our place to care for the sick, the poor, and the oppressed.  If we want to care for the sick should we not lead the way in aids research?  If we care for the poor then should be not be on the front line of the homeless epidemic?  If we care for the oppresses should the Church not be demanding work benefits and family care for everyone that punches a clock? 

It is not loving to deny someone basic human needs because you object to his or her morals.  When Christ healed the sick they did not to fill out a morals and values questionnaire.  We need to clean our own house before we can hope to gain any ground socially.  I fear we have already lost too much ground.

Before we address anyone else’s marriage rights we need to quit divorcing each other.  If we are going to question how healthcare is handled we had better be pouring some serious resources into caring for the sick.  We need to be working until everyone who is hungry has food.   Until we set the example for doing in right in these areas we have little hope of being heard on moral issues.  Until we stand in support of people with real life needs we have nowhere to stand.  Until we are known for our love we should probably just be silent.

I realize this is harsh but I am weary of the contradiction between what we say and what we do.  I also realize Dear Reader that the Church does do good in the world.  The problem is we are not doing enough.  We can do better and we must.   Until we take the risk of losing everything for the sake of living the Gospel, both social and spiritual, we are only going to keep losing ground.   Caesar has spoken.  It is time we show him that we can live as loving Christ followers under any circumstance.

Prayer of Saint Francis – Sarah McLachlan

Lord make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
And where there is sadness, joy.

O divine master grant that I may
not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
To be loved as to love
For it is in giving that we receive-
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned.
And it's in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment