23 June 2015

How do you Feel – Not In Control

Greetings Dear Reader,

I mentioned yesterday that we are supposed to feel what we feel.  What is also true in that freedom is that the feelings are never supposed to be in charge.  Love, fear, joy, and anger all have a place in us.  They can guide at times but must always be filtered through reason and self-control.

One of my observations is that we too often put how we feel in charge of what we do.  We put the feeling of love ahead of both being loving and acting properly.  We use anger as an excuse to be unkind and irreverent.  We use it to disrespect others.  We use how we feel to justify actions over which we have control.

It is not enough to not be “in love” to abandon a family.  Feeling hurt or angry does not justify harsh words.  There is no justification in wronging someone else because of our feelings.  It is not our feelings that should determine our actions. 

There is a balance to be had here.  There are times when we must be in the moment.   At times compassion must rule our reason.  At times love must guide us.  The litmus must be that we have thought about our actions.  The cognitive must feelings into proper actions.

When I act on feeling alone I almost always create a mess.  When I think through my actions and let the commands to love and kindness rule them I seem to do better.  I must feel what I feel honestly.  I must also let reason and unconditional love guide my responses to those feelings. 

How I feel matters.  How I act matters more.  I must do what is right no matter what the cost to my feelings.  I must act properly no matter how long it takes to work through the emotions.  In this can be found peace.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment