09 August 2016

Second Thoughts – Pokémon is Going

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

Last month I dipped my toe into the river of movement that is the new game Pokémon Go.  I find it very entertaining but there is more.  I have walked more in the last month than I the last six combined.  I have found something far more valuable.

I found a place where there are three PokeStops that are in close proximity to each other.  It is in a small park with easy access to parking by a beautiful lake.  I went there first by myself and then took my Daughter there on another occasion.

One of the residents of the street made it clear that I was not welcome.  He really has no say as it is a public park and public street.  He just happens to be blessed or cursed depending on one’s perspective to live across the street. 

The thing that impresses me most is that this small park has evolved a small community out of complete strangers.  People, most of them younger than me drift in and out of the park chasing Squirtels and   Pidgies.   They greet each other.  They chat and share information.  There is the occasional geeky braggart who has the lowdown on everything Pokémon Go. 

The diversity of this group is outstanding.  What is more outstanding is their care for the park.  After six visits, one for an entire afternoon (don’t judge me) there is not litter in the park.  The people there to catch invisible creatures on their phones pick up the real trash.  They are polite to each other.  They are even considerate toward the guy who thinks he owns the park.

I wish those who follow Christ could learn the lessons available in this little Pokémon Park.  We can do so much better at loving and accepting each other.  We can do so much better at treating each other and the environment with kindness and respect.  If we don’t how will we ever catch ‘em all?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment