29 August 2016

The Pain of Others – Broken Faith

Greetings Dear Reader,

I hear much conversation about the departure of many from faith.  The church for many reasons is losing its effectiveness.  That does not mean it has lost its place and responsibility.  It does mean that it may be failing in those areas.

That is not as important as addressing the waning of faith in general.   Faith is required if we have any hope of connecting with God.  When someone loses faith it is painful and isolating.  People I know who have walked away from faith are in pain.  No matter what their reason for doing so, I see their pain.

I am not trying to argue for or against faith.  I do need to see the pain of those who have had their faith broken and be compassionate for them.  I do not need to judge and condemn.  I do not need to place demands that they act in a certain way.  I cannot expect those who do not believe to act like believers.  Those who have stopped following Christ cannot be expected to act like Christ followers.

Whether they admit it or not those who have broken faith are in pain.  That they may not admit to the pain does not matter.  I must see it and be kind and loving.   I must treat them well and not demand that they change to get my very best.  The wounds oif broken faith are never cause for shooting the wounded.

I pose this question:  Why do those who are struggling with social or moral issues feel that they must abandon faith to get resolution?   It is the obligation of those who have faith to tend to the struggles of those who question or even break faith.  It is always the responsibility of those with faith to care for those without it. 

Instead we shoot our wounded.  We push away those who question our practices and beliefs.  If our beliefs are as strong as we claim they will stand up to the questioning.  We are required to love the wounded and the hurting.  We are required to care for them.  There is no choice. 

Broken faith requires that we have greater faith.  I must see the brokenness and do all that I can to heal the wounds.  Love can crush the barriers to faith if I let it.  What I must assure is that I do not love the broken for the purpose of “making them believe”.   I must love them to love them.   I must love them for the single purpose of showing them love.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment