26 August 2016

The Pain of Others – Broken Hearts

Greetings Dear Reader,

I see so many broken hearts.  I see so many people surprised by kindness and someone caring.  I think that this may be the most common malady in our culture.  I am not talking about romance although that is part of it.

People’s hearts are broken over so many things.  Lost dreams and aspirations can break our hearts.  We meet time milestones without becoming what we wish to become.  Our “bucket list” has more on it than we think it should.  Our lives have become the routine that we swore we would avoid.

When people talk to me about these things it moves me.  I resonate with their pain.  I see in them the hurt that I feel because I am not where I wish to be yet.  I work to really listen when I use the common American greeting, “How are you”?  

When someone expresses his or her real pain or concern I must take the time to listen and then put myself at risk.  I must ask the question, “How can I help”?   Often there is nothing I can do but listen.  Even listening, however, is unfortunately unusual.  It is sad that real listening with compassion and engagement is uncommon.  

I am supposed to be engaged with those around me.  I am supposed to see the pain and need and do what I can to make it better.  There is no good in have things if I do not share them.  There is no joy in meals eaten alone when I could be sharing them with others.  The common greetings we share could be transformed into opportunities to walk alongside a fellow traveler for a while and carry a little of his or her burden.

The pain of a broken heart is my chance to share love and kindness.  I must stay outside of my out pain and brokenness enough to pay attention and be kind.   The journey is much easier when I am good to others.My  heart must break for the broken hearted.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment