07 April 2018

…and Historical Smoking


Greetings Dear Reader,

Yesterday the movie Chappaquiddick premiered across the country.  It is a historical take on the Ted Kennedy incident from 1969.  I do not know if I care to see the film or not.  I am disturbed by something.

The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) issued the following in rating the film.  “Rated PG-13 for thematic material, disturbing images, some strong language, and historical smoking”.  It is the historical smoking bit that disturbs me.  Do we not all know that people smoke?  Do we not all know that they did so in the past in public places, work places, and pretty much anywhere one wished?

Perhaps this is a new kind of safe space to protect those who are offended by the idea of anyone anywhere smoking ever.  It may be a way for the MPAA to further manipulate the movie industry to bend to their will.  I get the warning on the pack of cigarettes.  I get that smoking is dangerous. 

What disturbs me is the level of sex, violence, drugs, and greed that fill the screen and there are those who think “historical smoking” is an issue.  What do we do then with Gandalf and Bilbo blowing smoke rings?   We may need to reevaluate the entire movie rating system.

We may need to warn that there are sugar soft-drinks in films.  Perhaps scenes where people are eating candy and cake need a warning too.  There may need to be posts that people are driving non-electric vehicles.  Should Wonder Woman have had a historical polluting warning? 

We can perhaps make a list of “situations” such as high cholesterol, intense leather wearing, and potential political incorrectness for those who might be traumatized.    IMDB provides a lovely parental guide page for movies.   Perhaps they can provide another one for the perpetually offended among us. 

I care about the sensibilities of others.  I work hard not to offend when I speak of my beliefs.  I am, however, completely finished with catering to those who see being personally offended as a way to manipulate society to their will. 

People do things we do not like. If I ranted about everything I dislike my posts would be much longer.  Here is the gist for me.  I hear my faith bashed and my beliefs disrespected in our culture almost daily.  My response is to do my best to live a life of love and respect for others even when they mock, ridicule, and disrespect the God I love.  I also think that it is good to know that the “smoke filled room” was a real thing and that we do not need to fear it nearly as much as what often comes out of it.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment