12 April 2018

Second Thoughts ~ The Wandering Traveler


Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you, Dear Reader.

In an odd turn of events I have picked up friends or family at the airport three of the last four weekends.  Unlike many this airport has very cheap parking and a comfortable waiting area for meeting arrivals.  One of the perks is that one can see the only escalators that service the entry and exit area for the terminals.

So it was that two weeks ago I sat waiting in the early morning for a flight that was on time.  As I took up a seat in the waiting area, I chose the one the furthest to the left facing the terminals.  I could clearly see the doorway out of the terminals and the stairs framed by up and down escalators.  A crew had cordoned off the down escalator with a yellow barrier whilst they worked at repairs on it.

My friend’s flight was not due for fifteen minutes so I got comfortable and waited.  The airport and human nature combined to offer me some excellent entertainment.   As passengers exited the terminal of another flight I watched them approach the stairs and escalators.  There was a clear delineation of presence of mind and mindfulness in their actions.

The first group were those that either saw that the escalator was unavailable and chose the stairs or were going for the stairs as a matter of course.  The second group consisted of those who approached the escalator, saw it was out of order, and adjusted to the stairs or in one case the elevator. Then, there was a third group.

About half a dozen people individually did the same thing over a period of fifteen minutes.  Each would approach the down escalator and stop at the barricade that informed one that is was under repair.  Then he (2) or she (5) would walk past the stairs to the up escalator.  Each person stared for a moment at the open escalator moving in a direction opposite to his or her current need.  There were then the following responses:

  • Two immediately chose the wide staircase between the two escalators
  • One person turned and went to the elevator behind him.
  • Three people checked their phones, walked back to the down escalator, returned to the up escalator, and then chose the stairs.
  • The last individual walked back and forth between the escalators four times pulling her bag and checking her phone. Finally stopping at the out of order down escalator, young lady queries one of the workers as to when the repairs will be done.


The worker informs her that it is an “all day” job.  She responds with a wail, “But I have to get down to get a cab.”  The worker looks at her confused for a moment and then points toward the stairs before going back to work.  Still bewildered the young lady walks back and forth one more time before dragging herself and her luggage down the moving up escalator.

After reaching the bottom she heads toward the exit and stops short of the automatic doors that lead outside.  She turns around and looks back at the closed down escalator and mutters, “well it looks just fine from this end.”

I am not sure what particular challenge kept her from using the stairs or the elevator.  There could be many reasons why she did not grasp the simple solution or chose not to use it.  From the outside looking at her actions what I gained was some entertainment and little perspective.

I often get so focused on what I think should be unfolding that I do not leave my mind room to adjust to changes.  I must be certain that I am in the moment enough to see what is going on around me and aware enough to adjust.  The journey is made up of moments.  I must be in them fully even if I have to change my path to do so.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)


No comments:

Post a Comment