06 April 2018

Memories and Forgiveness ~ Closing Thoughts


Greetings Dear Reader,

We will have memories that harm us.  That is unavoidable if we are to live among humans.  Those memories can be mitigated and tamed if we work at it.  They can be managed even if it takes time and effort to do so.

What we must do is forgive and keep forgiving if necessary.  Feeling the feelings associated with the things that caused us pain does not mean we have not forgiven.  It may be that the memories launch new anger and even hatred.  We must forgive again.

There are things in my past that used to immediately launch fear and pain the moment I thought of them.  There is still sadness there but no longer anger and fear.  Every time it occurs I remind myself that the person who harmed me is forgiven and that I must forgive him anew if necessary.

I must also be sure that when someone approaches me for forgiveness that I am kind and compassionate.  I must forgive.  I must be good to the person.  I do not have to trust or put myself in danger but I must lovingly forgive.    

It is in this that we find the key to our own healing.  We also need forgiveness for things.  They may not be great things but we need forgiveness.  It is in forgiving that we see that we are also forgiven.  It is in this forgiving that we see the needs of others for love and compassion. 

I must always forgive, even when I must make myself do it.  I must focus on love and forgiveness for others so that I do not become bitter.  I must focus on it so that I remember how I am in daily need of forgiveness.  When we were taught how to pray the conditional was this:  Forgive our trespass as we forgive those who trespass against us.  That alone should be enough motivation for me. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7/4/18 01:17

    You are right we all have me.ories that harm us. And sometimes it gets to a point where it hurts to forgive those that have harmed us. Especially if its continual .. I'm going through this with my own dad at the moment. And how love is forgiveness but as children we all screw up and need constant forgiveness. It can be tiring. And to people sometimes you just wonder how much of a fool you are to keep forgiving or to forgive that one person whom has hurt you so deep. When you feel that I relate back to Michael Cards Gods own fool song. It helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7/4/18 01:19

    Michael Card – God's Own Fool Lyrics
    Seems I've imagined Him all of my life
    As the wisest of all of mankind
    But if God's Holy wisdom is foolish to men
    He must have seemed out of His mind
    For even His family said He was mad
    And the priests said a demon's to blame
    But God in the form of this angry young man
    Could not have seemed perfectly sane
    Chorus
    When we in our foolishness thought we were wise
    He played the fool and He opened our eyes
    When we in our weakness believed we were strong
    He became helpless to show we were wrong
    And so we follow God's own fool
    For only the foolish can tell-
    Believe the unbelievable
    And come be a fool as well
    So come lose your life for a carpenter's son
    For a madman who died for a dream
    And you'll have the faith His first followers had
    And you'll feel the weight of the beam
    So surrender the hunger to say you must know
    Have the courage to say I believe
    For the power of paradox opens your eyes
    And blinds those who say they can see
    Chorus
    So we follow God's own Fool
    For only the foolish can tell
    Believe the unbelievable,
    And come be a fool as well

    ReplyDelete