11 July 2018

Won’t You be My Neighbor ~ Driving in my Car


Greetings Dear Reader,

I am not sure that I have thought of it this way before yesterday.  There is a four-way stop that I pass through daily.  All too often I see people making right turns scoot through the intersection without stopping.  Yesterday someone did this and almost hit me.

In the anger that leapt to my mind over the incident my thoughts were briefly not very neighborly.  Then it occurred to me that I needed to love that person beyond their poor driving choices.  Whether we wish it or not, one of the true strongholds of our anger is our private space behind the wheel of our car.

We do not consider enough that everyone with whom we share the road is our neighbor.  We only share proximity with them for a moment but in that moment, we are required to love them as a neighbor.  If we think of things in this light, would it change the way we drive?

Every time I drive I take on responsibility for the wellbeing of others.  If I am not a good neighbor I endanger lives.  Even though I have not thought of it this way before in terms of neighbors I have noticed that driving has become quite un-neighborly.

Perhaps some reminders for all of are in order:
Stop signs mean stop

  • It never hurts me to let someone else go first
  • The space between me and the other car is for safety
  • The space between me and the other car is not for you
  • The space between me and the other car is required
  • The speed limit is the highest legal speed not the required speed
  • Your dog should not be driving
  • You do not need to drive as fast as you think you do
  • Zipper merging works if everyone behaves

I think that I could go on for this for quite a bit.  I also think you get the point.  I must be aware of my neighbors when I am driving.  I must consider their needs and be humble, patient, and kind.  Even in rush hour traffic I am required to be a good neighbor.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment