06 March 2014

Bumper Sticker Religion – Annoy a Christian…

Greetings Dear Reader,

When I first saw this bumper sticker it was on the same care as one of the Coexist bumper stickers.  I found this at the minimum contradictory.  The bumper sticker read “Annoy a Christian – Think for Yourself.” 

First I wish to object to the blanket assumption that to follow Christ means that one does not think for one’s self.  I admit that there are those who do not truly think through what they profess to believe but to pain us all with the same brush is wrong in many ways.

As a Christ follower it is wrong for me seek to annoy anyone.  Were I to post something suggesting a way to annoy another religious or social group I would be called hypocritical, intolerant, and bigoted.

It is always wrong to intentionally insult others.  I realize that there are Christ followers who do not ponder the positions they take in light of what Christ commands us to do.  If I behave in a manner that contradicts the commands to be loving and kind then I diminish the impact of the Gospel.

As a Christ follower I must think.  I must be sure that what I profess is in harmony with Christ’s teaching and not just a sectarian preference.  This is one of the reasons that the way is narrow.  This is why I must assure that my life does not cause others to think that I do not think.

“To think well is to serve God in the interior court.”  Thomas Traherne    

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment