22 March 2014

On Apologetics – A Means to an End

Greetings Dear Reader,

Apologetics is a tool.  It is a tributary path that leads to the grand journey.  I have said before that we are all on a journey to God.  It is dishonest for me to avoid that I believe that Christ alone is the means to that end.  The purpose of apologetics for a Christ follower is to back up his actions in following with sound reasoning for that following.

When I live out the love, kindness, and care of the Gospel people will want to know why I do these things.  It is with sound reasons that I am to voice my faith and following.  The purpose of apologetics is not to bully others into agreeing with what I believe.  It is to explain why I believe what I believe once I have earned the right to be heard.

The process should be that others should see my actions and that they are done because of my obedience to Christ.  This should give me an opportunity to share the reasons for the hope I have in Christ.  It is not that I am good and loving to others so that I can tell them about Christ.  That is not what Christ wishes of me.

I must obey Christ for the sake of obeying him.  My love for others and kindness to them must flow from my love for Christ then I have clear ground on which to stand.  If I treat others well just so I can share Christ with them then I am nothing more than a salesman manipulating my customers. 

Apologetics is a natural outflow of my faith and not a weapon for spreading that faith.  If I focus on the apologetics and not on Christ then I am seeking arguments not the wellbeing of others.  It is living out the Gospel by lovingly impacting the lives of others that leads to me gaining opportunity to share why I believe.  We have “turned a passion for the lost into the business of saving souls.”

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment