27 March 2014

On Apologetics – Listening

Greetings Dear Reader,

It seems that when we attempt to put forth a proper apology for our beliefs that we do not do enough listening.  If we carefully listen to and honestly consider the things that our detractors say it may be that we can more easily understand how to give an answer.

If I focus on truly understanding and honestly hearing the arguments against my faith it will be easier to see the needs of those who disagree with me.  Good listening shows integrity and respect.  It also arms me with the truth about what others think and believe. 

Since we are in part guilty of creating a fissure between faith and science through persecution, rejection, and false evidence we must show that we are willing to listen.  We must secure the more noble ground of honest interaction rather than bitter argument. 

I must remember that if I give honest attention to being good to those who oppose me I am living out the Gospel.  No amount of evidence on my part can take the part of barrier crushing love for those who do not believe.  In this arena I have no enemies just opportunities. 

If I am honest then there will be honest discourse.  If there is not then the fault is not mine.  If I truly listen and accept what is honest and true then I am better for it.  If I am honest and report only truth then failure of others to heed that truth is out of my control. 

I am accountable to listen.  As my Grandfather used to say to me, “We have two ears and one mouth for a reason.”  A good apologist must seek first to understand then to be understood.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment