19 March 2014

On Apologetics – Understanding “Argument” as Love

Greetings Dear Reader,

When we consider the meaning of the word “argument” the first thing communicated is not what is intended.  The idea of apologetics is to present well-reasoned civil interactions for the hope and faith we have. 

Too often we resort to passionate condemning anger.  One of the things my Grandfather used to say was that “a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.”   I realize that is originally credited to Benjamin Franklin but when I think about it my Grandfather’s voice is in my head.

I think that there are clear guidelines as to how I am to represent my faith when I must do so with words.  I am sure that I am not supposed to allow any passion I feel about what I say to rule what I say.  In fact the truth is that I am not supposed to be angry at someone just because they disagree with me.

I am not supposed to become angry with someone when they do not believe.  Even when they say things that are not true about me because of Christ I am to count it a blessing.  If my faith is real there is nothing that can be said to me or done to me that should move me away from loving the person doing it.  If I am to love my enemy then my “arguments” must be delivered in love.  

Even seeing and adversary in a debate as an enemy is suspect for me.  Just because those outside of my faith may consider me an enemy does not mean that I must consider him one.  In fact I am required to collect very few enemies in the journey.  If I am practicing love and forgiveness in every area of my life then those who oppose my faith must be part of that practice.

Speaking the truth in love means doing it in love.  Understanding argument first means that I recognize that I must make every move in the discussion out of love for Christ and those with whom I engage.  Once I am firmly grounded in the position that I will be loving in every act of argument for my faith I can move forward to the truthiness of it.  I will ponder that tomorrow.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a 

No comments:

Post a Comment