29 March 2014

The Movie Noah – A Review with Spoilers

Greetings Dear Reader,

Yesterday I saw he movie Noah with my younger Son Bezel.  I wish to say from the outset that it was a very interesting experience. Bezel was arguably the youngest person in the room.  The reactions of people to Darren Aronofsky’s interpretation of the Noah story was both sad and humorous.  Anyone who has seen Requiem for a Dream, Pi, or Black Swan should not have expected a pure telling of the tale.  My review will be aimed at both Christian and non-Christian audiences for the sake of being honest to both the film and my faith.

To those who do not follow Christ:
Do not expect this story to follow the Biblical narrative.  It diverges very quickly from the truth.  There is not any credence to the inclusion of the industrialized society or the Watchers.  I could have tolerated this but Noah descends into the role of a madman bent on wiping mankind from the earth.  I find little of the truth in the story.

If, however, one can set aside this and see it as just a good Aronofsky film it is a good movie to watch.  The story is compelling and has a reasonable resolution.  Do not use this film as an example of what we believe.  You can instead use it as an opportunity to show the true character of both God and Noah.

To those who do follow Christ:
First let me apologize for the poor representation of who God is and how we should see this story.  The intent of the actual story is to show that God is intent on the redemption of man.  If you do not know any Christ followers feel free to discuss this with me.

If you do know someone who believes as I do then use this as a great discussion opportunity.  I promise that the actual story is quite different.  That said, I am a fan of Aronofsky and he has told a good tale.  Not all of my fellow travelers will agree with this as their standards differ from mine.

To Everyone:
The movie does not fail to entertain.  The imagery as the creation story is told is amazing.  I find a few of Aronofsky’s post production devices more distracting than entertaining but they are negligible compared to his skilled story telling.  I do, however, wish that someone with his skill would make a Bible based movie that clings to the actual story and message of the Bible.  As always, the book is much better than the movie.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment