05 March 2014

Bumper Sticker Religion – If we can’t marry…

Greetings Dear Reader,

I want to be very clear that I am not weighing in on the issue of Gay Marriage here.   The first time I saw this bumper sticker, however, it gave me some very deep thoughts and questions.  It simply read, “If we can’t marry then you can’t divorce.” 

I remember that my very first thought was that this is correct.  Like so many other areas I feel that the church needs to take the beam out of its own eye before it tries to take anything out of anyone else’s eye.  I have been married and divorced twice.  Both times there was no good reason to end a marriage.  The first time was primarily my fault the second time I had no choice.

If we cannot live the things we proclaim are sacred then we must see to that before we have any hope of being heard.  We give those outside of the some very firm footing to ignore us.  We make our words irrelevant when we do not live them in our lives. 

I must own my failures and not make excuses.  I must live from this moment forward as if everything I do matters in how it impacts those around me.  I must devote my efforts to following Christ and treating others in the way he commands.  We are warned that if we do not live what we profess that we will be ineffective.

I know few people who are tolerant of hypocrisy.  How I treat others does matter.  How I live my faith impacts those in my life.  When the bumper stickers accuse us of things that are true, we should see to our own house first.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5/3/14 12:15

    WELL THOUGHT OUT AND I AGREE. GOD DID MOT PUT IS HERE TO JUDGE OTHERS. ESPECIALLY SINCE WE HAVE NOT LIVED THEIR LIVES.

    ReplyDelete