23 March 2014

On Apologetics – I believe God exists – Prime Mover

Greetings Dear Reader,

I am going to try to explain this in very simple terms.  I am not going to use Biblical sources as this would be an error in reasoning.  Since the belief in God that I hold stems in part from my belief in the veracity of the Bible, I must exclude this to be honest with those who do not believe it.

People believed in God before the first lines of Genesis were written.  If I am to be honest with those who do not believe then my apology must come from a position outside of the Bible.  I have no new insight here.  I am simply explaining why I believe.

Almost forty years ago when I was wrestling with what I believed a friend carefully reasoned through the concept of a prime mover with me.  To this day no one has ever presented a position that makes this one illogical. 

Where did we come from?  So many theories exist on this that to address them all would exceed the bounds of my purpose here.  Instead I will simply state that I have seen no scientifically sound hypothesis, theory, or evidence that strongly supports the opposite.

If we say that the universe is an accident or happened randomly then we need as infinite number of random regressions.  As we regress back infinitely the mathematical improbability increases exponentially.   Whether one holds the singular random event or the collective interdependence of multiple events one must still regress backwards to the cause or causes of those events.

If each event is random and accidental then it must have been caused by a previous random accidental event.  How many times can one regress this until it becomes absurd?  I believe in God because I believe in a prime mover.  Something outside of the event or events set them in motion.

One does not need to embrace the events in Genesis to concede that there was a genesis that caused the universe.  It is logical to me that there was a prime mover outside of the events that yielded the universe. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment