23 February 2015

Every Diner – Closing Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

I have probably left some very obvious metaphors out of the discussion.  I want to be clear that I still see value in the Church and even in the local church.  I also see that there needs to be vast change in the way we approach the social aspects of the Gospel.

People rarely continue to eat at a diner with bad food.  Some do because there is some other need that gets met there.  People tend to go where they get their needs met.  People tend to stay where they feel welcome.

I have recently seen local churches act very badly regarding the needs of others.  Perhaps they have forgotten just how closely they area watched by those outside the faith and those just outside the doors.  Even if you see the church as merely a business that just uses God I think you might agree they do not always act in a way that attracts customers.

We the Church need to see this reality and demand that the local church become an every diner to those in need.  The social gospel must never overtake the Gospel but it must remain a central part of it.  Things must change or the right to be heard will be lost along with our effectiveness. 

More importantly that change must begin with me.  I must assure that I am living all the things that are required of me as a Christ follower.  I cannot ignore the needs of others when I have the ability to help.  I cannot refuse to be good to others as a way of life.  I cannot travel the journey with a blind eye toward the needs of my fellow travelers. 

This is a discipline that gets easier as it is practiced.  The examples from Christ are sufficient to figure out what to do to obey.  The opportunities are endless.  I just need to remain aware and prepared.  He is in those moments where we do what is right no matter what the cost to us.  After all, if Jesus said we would find him among “the least of these.”  If we want to find Jesus should we not look for him where he says he is?

Distressing Disguise – Michael Card

He is in the pain, He is in the need
He is in the poor, we are told to feed
Though He was rich, for us He became poor
How could He give so much, what was it for?

In His distressing disguise
He waits for us to surmise
That we rob our brothers by all that we own
And that's not the way He has shown

Every time a faithful servant serves
A brother that's in need
What happens at that moment is a miracle indeed
As they look to one another in an instant it is clear
Only Jesus is visible for they've both disappeared

He is in the hand that reaches out to give
He is in the touch that causes men to live
So speak with your life now as well as your tongue
Shelter the homeless, take care of the young

In His distressing disguise
He hopes that we'll realize
That when we take care of the poorest of them
We've really done it to Him

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment