08 February 2015

Say What You Need to Say – “Fitting In”

Greetings Dear Reader,

I am not always sure what fitting in is.  I do know that most of the time I feel like I do not fit in.  I cannot remember a time when I did not feel this way.  I have tried to fit in.  I have tried to assimilate but that is always futile for me. 

This situation leads to other things I need to say but that will come later.  For now I have to focus on this thing.  It has led to some terrible decisions and some beautiful moments.  It is a curse that can be a blessing.

The curse part is that I often end up on the perimeter of things.  When I attempt to engage with those who do fit in I always recognize the polite toleration required in social situations.  I don’t get invited to the circle and refuse to force my way into it. 

That edge is not as empty as one would think.  It is populated by others who do not fit in.  They need friends too.  I have spent most of my adult life connecting with those on the edge.  It is little wonder that I thrived in environments filled with them.

Whether it was teaching or social I have been privileged to know others who did not fit into the mold society forges for us.  There is amazing beauty there.  Men and women who do not fit in have so much uniqueness to offer.

No Compromise - Keith Green
The other aspect of this is that I am supposed to not fit in in some ways.  As Christ followers we are assured that we do not fit in.  We are told that the world will not accept us.  By not fitting in I can use love and kindness to show others that may not fit in that they have a place where they are always accepted. 

I am supposed to be different.  I supposed be the fool for Christ.  I am supposed to be a stumbling block for those who think that they can fit in outside of Christ.  They will fit into something but it will not satisfy.  It hurts to be the odd one out.  It is worth it if I can reach others who may need some help finding the way in.  There are ways in which we are not supposed to fit in.

Aliens and Strangers – DeGarmo and Key

Sunday morning, and the pews are filled with friends of mine, yeah, friends of mine,
And, for the first time, I look around,
I realize, I realize...

My closest friends are aliens and strangers,
Travelers here, living with danger,
My closest friends are aliens and strangers,
Travelers here, living with danger.

I used to wonder why they act so strange,
Now I know, yeah, now I know,
I heard the preachers say this world we're in is not our home, it's not our home.

My closest friends are aliens and strangers,
Travelers here, living with danger,
My closest friends are aliens and strangers,
Travelers here, living with danger.

They're all pilgrims just passing through, heroes away from their homeland,
And, since I've discovered the truth, I look at my friends and I can't help but think that....

All of my friends, they're aliens,
Just passing through, yeah, they're aliens,
My closest friends, yeah, they're aliens,
My closest friends, oh, they're aliens,
Just passing through, just passing through,
Just passing through, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment