27 February 2015

We Paid for the Party with our Dearest Blood

Greetings Dear Reader,

I remember the twenty fifth anniversary of Star Trek.  All around the country they show the then existing movies at a “Sit Long and Prosper Event.”  I remember the woman in front of me sobbing loudly as Spock died at the end of the Wrath of Khan.  I remember a Star Trek premier where my eldest Son got to meet Leonard Nimoy.  I recall as a young boy thinking how hard it must be to keep all your feelings bottled up and always be logical.

At age seven I practiced and manipulated my fingers until I could give a Vulcan salute effortlessly.  I watched one of my heroes go through a court martial, pon farr, and a range of insults.  In the movie I watched him die and be resurrected.  I saw him lose his home world and still find a way to reconcile it with his pursuit of peace.

My Son, the same one I took to meet Leonard Nimoy some twenty eight years ago made a point of calling me today when he heard the actor had passed away.  He wanted to assure that I did not hear it some other way.  He called me, told me, and comforted me.  He is not surprised how hard it hit even though I am.

I immediately thought of my friend Don and his pain.  I also contacted my other children to assure that they knew of this great loss.  Death has touched my family from many angels this month.  In the same month that my Son arranged for me to meet William Shatner he had to tell me of the loss of Leonard Nimoy.  I have not yet found a way to process this loss.

Kirk, not knowing he would see his friend again said this, “We are assembled here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. And yet it should be noted, in the midst of our sorrow, this death takes place in the shadow of new life, the sunrise of a new world; a world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most....human.”

Every man’s death diminishes me; some more than others.  This loss lessens the world for all of us.  A man who created a key part of a subculture is gone.  It was a key part of his life’s work.  As I discussed with Avalon the other day, I do not believe in the no win scenario but I must admit that at this moment a feel that I have lost.  I will not dishonor either Leonard Nimoy or Spock of Vulcan by giving in to that loss.

I will honor the man and his work but embracing the Vulcan philosophy that he said was so important to his own life philosophy.  It is vital to mine as well.  I will honor this man by living the truth of IDIC; infinite diversity in infinite combinations.  I will treasure every life for its uniqueness.  I will see the value in every human.  I will keenly miss the one name Leonard Nimoy. 

My life is better for this man’s life.  My life is less for his death.  I will not allow the loss to win.  I send him on his way with love and respect.  Though he did not know it, I have been and ever shall be his friend.  Mr. Nimoy, the word is given; Warp Speed my friend.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)


No comments:

Post a Comment