29 January 2012

Anatomy of the Journey – Beauties


Greetings Dear Reader,

I have seen sunsets that take my breath away.  I have experienced undersea life that still captivates my heart and mind.  I am still always awed by fresh snowfall.  There is so much in creation that is so very beautiful.  I have known women so beautiful that I lack the words to speak of it.  All of this pales in comparison to the expression of pure unconditional love.  I have felt this and on occasions when I get out of my own way been able to express it.

Daffodils in Atlanta Spring 1999
God had given us so many things along the way that are beautiful.  He wishes us to enjoy them.  The journey is difficult enough without missing out on all the beauty.  What I have to assure that I do is that the beauty does not become a distraction to the journey.  The beautiful things of the world are intended to move us along the path.  They are there to lighten the load and give us hope.

I know that I have at times fixated on the things and forgotten to keep moving.  That is when beauty becomes a problem.  There is nothing in the journey that I can possess.  I cannot keep investing myself in the things because that causes me to lose traction.  The beauty intended to help me can become a distraction.

If my love of the beauty of a thing or person causes me to pause in the journey then I have misused that which is provided.  Mountains, oceans, food and drink are all parts of the beauty provided for us.  Friends and lovers are all part of the joy of the journey.  It is when I let the pursuit of any of this over the journey become my goal that I lose my way.  If I drink to excess, I am losing my way.  If overeat it slows my progress in the journey.  If I use a beautiful woman just to sate my apatite then I am wandering from the path of following.

I must enjoy the beauty along the way but I must not make any of the beautiful things my passion.  The journey, the following, and the destination must be the ultimate beauty to me.  The rest must remain what they are; temporary gifts to move me along home.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment