20 January 2012

Managing Obligations



Greetings Dear Reader,

As a follow up on my thoughts on managing my own expectations I have been thinking about the opposite side of that coin in the face of obligations.  While it is true that I must deal in grace and love when it comes to my expectations I also consider the line where obligations exist.

I am supposed to let my yes be yes and my no be no.  I am supposed to keep my word.  What I wonder is if this is not true of others as well.  I have to manage my life in such a way that I do what I say I am going to do.  I have seen the pain it causes others when I have not done this.  I have felt the pain when obligations toward me are not kept. 

It seems that obligations to others are becoming more vaporous in our world.  I have students lie to me all the time about why they are not in class.  I think they do not even consider that the lies hurt me.  Even when the intent is not to lie but people do not keep to commitments it causes me great pain.

It makes the road very rocky for me at times.  Recently someone came to me and assured me that they understood a situation better.  This individual expressed the realization that inconsistency in keeping their commitments was hurtful to me and that this would change.  It has not.

What then is my obligation?  It does not change.  I can only continue to honestly express how the actions impact me and deal with the individual in love and grace.  I ponder how I can abide the difficulty of the pain.  I used to pressure others to do as they had promised.  All this does is drive others away.  Instead I must run to Christ and allow his grace and love toward me to salve the disappointment. 

I must use the resolve to engender me to be one who keeps his obligations.  I must treat others as I would be treated.  I must assess things in the light of how I keep my obligations to Christ and allow him to deal with the hearts of others.  In this there is peace to be found.  In this even when the road is rough and difficult the journey can become easier.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment