09 January 2012

Peanuts Parents


Greetings Dear Reader,

As I begin my second full week of 2012 I was putting away the Christmas DVD collection.  I had not watched A Charlie Brown Christmas and put it in to enjoy.  One of the elements used in the Charlie Brown shows is the “wa wa wa” sound used represent the speaking of adults.

I usually laugh at this.  This time, however, I had a different reaction. I found myself truly wondering what the adults were saying.  It then caused me to ponder just how I listen to God.  Do I treat God’s words as things I have heard before and need not heed a uniquely directed at me?  Do I give things the interpretation that suits me?  How do I listen to God?

The only way I can answer this is to choose to listen clearly and intently as if my Creator is speaking to me for the first time. The life of following Christ is a life of listening.  It is a life of knowing that my own thoughts get in the way of that listening if I am not vigilant.  My Grandfather used to point out that we had two ears and one mouth for a reason.  We should listen twice as much as we speak.  Since I cannot see Christ it is that much more important that I must listen if I am to follow.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10/1/12 00:46

    I'm just happy that the reverse doesn't happen. That God doesn't sit listening to our prayers thinking, wa wa wa or blah blah blah, after all He has most likely heard what we have to say over and over again and yet every word we speak to Him is important to Him. I praise God for His unexplainable love for mankind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting reflection on the movie! And your grandpa is right, we should do more listening than talking. I am working on that!

    ReplyDelete