08 January 2012

Dead Men’s Clothes


Greetings Dear Reader,

Some years ago some friends and I did a study in an intentional approach to reducing possessions and paying closer attention to consumption.  The result of that time has had some very lasting results.  I made a couple of dear friends and value them highly.  I also learned how to meter my consumption and consider the source of my acquisitions more carefully.

In contrasting this learning with my current needs I made a choice to get some more shirts for work at a thrift store instead of buying new ones.  As I was perusing my choices as the thrift store a worker actually asked if I needed assistance.  I mentioned that I was looking for some shirts and gave her my size.  Immediately she took me to the section where there were some very fine shirts.

I thanked her and she offered the following.  “These should be great.  They are all new.  Some guy died and his family brought in all the new clothes he got for Christmas.”  It set me back for a moment.  Then it occurred to me that much of what comes from a thrift store has to potential of this same source. 

I would want my things to go on being used if I were gone.  Stewardship is the use of things wisely.  It would be unwise to forgo reusing things just because they had come from a dead man.  We inherit so much from the past.  I wonder how I can better where that which is handed down to me.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment