05 January 2012

A Homemade Pie


Greetings Dear Reader,

I am a lover of pie.  I don’t really care for cake or cookies that much (with one exception that I will mention later).  I wish that there was birthday pie instead of birthday cake.  I wish that we took breaks for milk and pie.  Does “that takes the pie” really sound so awkward?

The kind of pie matters.  Key lime is my favorite.  Mincemeat, Pumpkin, and Pecan pies are a close second.  Of the many fruit pies one could have I prefer cherry, peach, and blueberry.  Since I moved to the Midwest I have discovered strawberry rhubarb to be delightful.  Of the custard or crème pies I prefer coconut to any other but my sister’s banana cream pie is without equal.

As I mentioned yesterday I returned to work on Tuesday after some time off for good behaviour.  That first day back was filled with joy at seeing my students and colleagues but was a very long sixteen hour day.  When I arrived home at 11:03 that night my daughter Christmas had baked a cherry pie for me.  I am still in awe of it.

One of the things that I treasure is when someone makes a pie or oatmeal raisin cookies for me (there is the aforementioned cookie reveal).  It touches a deeply hidden part of my spirit that rarely comes out to play.  Every time I think about that cherry pie I smile.  It has helped merge back into my no writing work with ease.

There is something so powerful about looking into someone else and seeing something that makes them feel special.  I know how to do this and try to do it often.  I am going to try and do it more.  It is not the pie.  It is the knowing and doing.  We can do so much to make others burdens lighter.  If making a pie or some cookies can impact me so deeply I need to focus on how to create that feeling in others.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."
     

No comments:

Post a Comment