17 February 2013

Hey Dad!

Greetings Dear Reader,

We have all seen the image.  A boy finds a puppy.  The puppy follows the boy home and the boy asks, “It followed me home.  Can I keep him?”  For my younger Son, Bezel it was a snake.  We allowed the snake, named Bandit to live under the house. 

When I taught in another state it was in a time where we still used overhead projectors and transparencies.  I had a cartoon that I would share with my students.  It was one of Bezel’s favorites.  I can no longer find it or I would share it with you.  I showed Jesus at the door of heaven and God opening the door.  Behind Jesus were people from every possible origin.  The caption read, “Hey Dad, they followed me home.   Can I keep them?”

As Sunday morning breaks across my window I ponder the simplicity of this truth.  My journey home feels different of late.  I know a lot of theology and philosophy but what I really care about is turning for home.  I do not mean for me but in general the shadows of the day feel long.  The sun has passed its zenith and I feel the urgency to get home for dinner. 

I remember this feeling as a boy at my Grandfather’s.   We would be in the garden pinching suckers from the tomato plants.  The sun would hit the trees and the garden would suddenly be enveloped in shadows.  My Grandfather would look at those shadows and then at me.  He would smile.  “We best be getting back to the house.  Janie will have supper ready and she has made something special for you.”  Those moments are the deepest sense of home I can recall as a boy.

When I see the terror and horror in the world and ponder the descending darkness I long to turn for home.  I do not say this with any depression nor do I feel maudlin concerning it.  I am just longing for the recreation of things so that they are all good.  Until that day I will follow.  I will watch the shadows get longer and enjoy the journey.


Though you are homeless
Though you're alone
I will be your home
Whatever's the matter
Whatever's been done
I will be your home

I will be your home
I will be your home
In this fearful fallen place
I will be your home

When time reaches fullness
When I move my hand
I will bring you home
Home to your own place
In a beautiful land
I will bring you home

I will bring you home
I will bring you home
From this fearful fallen place
I will bring you home
I will bring you home


Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment