26 February 2013

Thirty Day Challenge – Day Eight – Bargaining With God

Greetings Dear Reader,

“Father, please show me my sin.”

This sin hit me this morning as I was committing it.  It is so clear in Scripture that we are to give freely without hope of reward or return.  Often I find that I am bargaining with God in my mind.  It is not when it is clear that God wishes me to do something.  It is when I want something from God.

It goes like this.  I find myself thinking that I would like for God to do something for me.  Instead of just asking and trusting I list all the things I could do for God if he this thing for me.  I hope that you Dear Reader realize how preposterous this is.  There is nothing God needs me to do for him.  He is completely self-sufficient.

These “if then” conversations reveal selfish motives and a manipulative spirit.  I am using my God-given gift to negotiate in an attempt to get God to do what I want.  Even typing that last sentence I feel so foolish.  I truly hope that sometimes God just laughs at me and pats me on the head.  I realize though how offensive it is for me to do this and will find a way stop.

I need to simply acknowledge that God is a loving Father who wants to give good things to me.  He wants me to ask with a heart full of trust and respect.  If I simply delight in him he will give me the desires of my heart.  If I give up everything and simply follow in faith all that I need will be given me. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment