14 May 2013

A Christian Nation – First Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

I am sure that I am uncomfortable writing about this but it is something with which my mind is dancing and so I will.  Let me state clearly that I realize how polarizing this topic is.  I am sorting out my own thinking on how to deal with errors I see on both sides of the issue. 

Let me state clearly my position on this as we begin so that you, Dear Reader, will know where I am headed and can interact at will.  I do not believe that we are or ever have been a “Christian Nation.”  I realize that there are good arguments for and against this but I believe that the truth is somewhere in the middle.

One of the key thoughts that plague me is the command not to take the name of God for our own purposes.    I rarely see our Christian status touted for purposes that are Christ centered.  I have personally walked away from the term Christian as a way of self-identification and this is one of the reasons.  I still believe in and follow Christ to the best of my ability but I feel that the term “Christian” no longer communicates that.

If we take on a label for our own purposes and that label is God then we are “taking his name in vain.”  That always leads to disillusionment for others.  I love that freedoms I have in this country but I feel that like so many other things Christ followers have made our status as a nation a mantra without power.  Nothing I say has any strength if I do not live it out.  I will walk through the things that I believe a Christian nation would be based on the words of Christ and his early followers.   You may draw your own conclusions.

I realize some of you will be angered by the things I am going to say.  I would first ask you why an honest assessment of belief should anger anyone.  I stand firmly in my faith and hope to purify it by this part of the journey.  I am not disloyal to my country but rather hope to make it stronger by looking at it honestly and asking my fellow travelers to do the same.  I thank you for walking with me and invite you to talk with me as we travel.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

2 comments:

  1. With you, Brother. I have felt the same way for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous14/5/13 09:50

    True observation.. Our country was founded by people who came here seeking Freedom to worship GOD. Our Capitol displays many references to GOD in the buildings. It is not therefor, based solely on Christianity.

    ReplyDelete