28 May 2013

A Walk with Aqualung – Up to Me

Greetings Dear Reader,

One must begin any thoughts on this with the defining of certain terms.  I have read many analysis of this who do not get some of the basics of British culture and so those analysis proceed from false assumptions.  So in list fashion here are some key terms in this song:

Wimpy Bar – A fast food hamburger chain

Silver Cloud – A Rolls Royce
Tennis Club – Tennis Racquet
Copper – A police officer
Half of Bitters – A half pint of a very hoppy beer
Day-glo Pirate – I have no idea

The music, the timing, and structure of this song are both lovely and unsettling for me.  This person is obviously wealthy and does as he pleases.  I find this honest at least.  To whomever he is speaking he is explaining that whatever they have done it was his choice.  The individual sees everything as up to him.  I think that Cousin Jack’s is either a literal cousin or a place he frequents and causes a ruckus.  It is up to him but he takes no real responsibility for the results of his actions.

In the second verse he shows that even given the needs of our cast of characters he will have excess if he wishes.  If he wants to spend his money on a Rolls and playing tennis it is his choice.  Think about the great distance between owning a Rolls and riding a bike in the cold then having a flat tire.  I think the “yellow fingered smoky girl” may be another reference to Cross Eyed Mary.  Again we see, an excess that is his choice.

In the bridge he threatens the second person in the conversation.  Even though he is rich enough to buy Rolls he views himself as a “common working man.”  He explains that he will gladly put a beating on his friend as soon as the police officer leaves if he chooses to do so.

In the last verse we see two distinct things that are negative: the rainy season and the sinking of the “day-glow pirate.”   Whatever is meant here we know that he laughs at it and too soon for that matter.  He then returns to addressing his “friend”.  He is clear that no matter that friend’s feelings what has happened is up to him.

The way in which this song impacted me was simple.  No matter my level of affluence or poverty my choices are mine.  The truth is that my choices determine who I am.  When I am honest about this I usually choose well.  It is when I do not take personal responsibility that I get into trouble.

When I first encountered this song, I took the protagonists side.  I arrogantly thought it was just up to me without caring for the consequences of my actions.  The feeling that one can do as he pleases without any responsibility for the outcome pleased me at that young age.  We become what we do and I embraced this thinking.  Driven by anger and pain I saw my birth father in the thinking and headed down the path to become him. 

Fortunately for me there was an intervention to come.   At the time, however, it was anger fueled self-centeredness that ruled my spirit.  It caused me to see the rest of the album in a far different light than I do now.  I hope the coming contrasts thought provoking.

Up to Me – Ian Anderson

Take you to the cinema
And leave you in a Wimpy Bar --
You tell me that we've gone too far --
Come running up to me.
Make the scene at Cousin Jack's --
Leave him put the bottles back --
Mends his glasses that I cracked --
Well that one's up to me.
Well you know it’s up to me
I said it’s up to me.

I buy a Silver Cloud to ride --
Pack the tennis club inside --
Trouser cuffs hung far too wide --
Well it was up to me.
Tires down on your bicycle --
Your nose feels like an icicle --
The yellow fingered smoky girl
Is looking up to me.
Oh you know it’s up to me

Well I'm a common working man
With a half of bitter -- bread and jam
And if it pleases me I'll put one on you man --
When the copper fades away.
Oh you know it’s up to me
Whoa I said it’s up to me.

The rainy season comes to pass --
The day-glow pirate sinks at last --
And if I laughed a bit to fast.
Well it was up to me.
Take you to the cinema
And leave you in a Wimpy Bar --
You tell me that we've gone too far --
Come running up to me.
Well you know it’s up to me
I said it’s up to me.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment