18 May 2013

A Christian Nation – Why We Do Not Want To Be One

Greetings Dear Reader,

I realize that if one does not know me and what I believe that some of what I am saying in this series of posts may be offensive.  Please let me take a moment to clarify that I do believe in God, the Bible, and that I follow Christ alone in my faith.  I am very theologically conservative but I also have no tolerance for making that theology Americanized in any way.

I am very certain that I do not want America to be a “Christian Nation” because our government has declared it to be one.  They have not and our constitution forbids it.  History teaches us over and over that we are not going to succeed and making any religion a state religion.  It always leads to killing people.  Killing people in the name of Christ is a bad idea. 

Do not think for a moment that I do not wish that every human being had a working relationship with Jesus Christ.  I do.  I believe that is the right thing to do.  I will not, however, suggest that Christ followers well behaved enough to handle the power that comes when the state requires people to follow Christ.  It always turns out bad when we do this.

It also flies in the face of what Christ offers the world.  No matter where you fall in the free will/predetermination debate if you are honest you recognize that Jesus says that whosoever will can come to him.  He never says that one must come to him because the law says to come to him.  We want to coerce and force that which Christ desires of others willingly.

It is not the place of Christ followers to demand faith in others either locally or nationally.  It is not my place to manipulate or push someone into seeing Christ.  It is my responsibility to love others so deeply and purely that they want what I have in Christ.  If I struggle daily with following in a way that is right and consistent imagine the horror that it would be if we handed over administration of daily faith and following to the government. 

I want a nation of Christ followers because they each have come to him of their own will and seen the beauty and grace that is there.  I do not ever want elected officials to tell anyone that they must follow Christ.  We are already too efficient at killing the innocent and those with whom we disagree.  We are not mature enough to feed our hungry and provide health care that works for everyone.  We do not want the sure results of a state sponsored religion or faith. 

I will continue to follow and be as loving as I can learn to be to others.  I will not weigh in on laws that tell us we have to have a certain flavor or morality.  I will love you Dear Reader for who you are and hope that you see enough of Christ in me that you want to know him better.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment