20 May 2013

Second Thoughts – The Passing of a Friend

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

One of my students passed away suddenly last quarter.  His memorial service was held over the weekend.  Of the dozens of people there I only knew two.  I sat with my student’s mum for a couple of hours and we shared stories about him.

I realized how many of the same things we saw in him that we admired.  I saw how the deep love he had communicated for his mother has clearly been realized in their relationship.  I also got a rare glimpse of the ways in which I impacted this student.  I had no idea that I meant so much to him or that he credited me with so much of his success at school.  From my perspective I do not see the contribution but whenever I would introduce myself to someone they would remark that they had heard about me and how much this young man valued out relationship.

I journeyed home with the pain of his passing a freshly opened wound.  I also found a renewed understanding of the difference I can make in the lives of others. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment