11 May 2013

Daggers in the Soul

Greetings Dear Reader,

Often there are things I do not know how to handle.  One of them is things that have been said to me in the past that hurt so deeply.  Most of them are not true but the wounds are.  The energy required to fight them off is taxing and could be used for much better things.

People say things out of pain, greed, selfishness, and malice.  These things remain in the soul long after the event is over.  People say things that lift us up and give us hope then violate those things without thought to how that will impact the life of the person they said them to.

Even after forgiveness and restoration of the relationship the words come back to haunt me.  The energy it takes fend off those thoughts would be better spent doing good to others and thinking well about important things.  This drives me to take greater care over my words.

I know that I will be held accountable for everything I say.  These daggers in my soul remind me to be aware of the impact of what I say on others.  The following from Bishop William Walsham How informs my thinking on this.

“What a wonderful thing the soul is, children! You cannot see it: you cannot hear it: you cannot touch it. Yet you know it is there. You do not want any proof that you have a soul. You are as sure of that as that you have a body. It tells you itself.

Now I think I am wrong, after all, in saying that you have a soul. Ought I not to say, you are a soul? Is not the soul really yourself? In truth, my children, it is the soul that has a body, not the body that has a soul; for the soul is greater surely than the body, and will last when the body is laid aside in death.”

Physical harm heals.  I no longer feel the pain for the scars I carry on my body.  I do, however, feel the pain of the scars others have left on my soul.  Christ will ultimately heal this as well, but I must be careful that my words do not increase this need in others.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment