27 May 2013

A Walk with Aqualung – Wond’ring Aloud

Greetings Dear Reader,

And the transitions begin.  The brightness and hurry of Mother Goose give way to a gentle sweetness in Wond’ring Aloud.  The opening statement is inclusive.   How do “we” feel today?  Imagine the impact of always caring about how others feel as you examine your own feelings on a subject.  I have incorporated this into my life in many successful ways.

As we ponder the meaning of this song we avoid that many see it in puerile fashion as a veiled sexual reference.  Since Ian Anderson is a master of double, triple, and multiple entendre I will not state that it is not there but if it is, the final message is even more important.

What impacts me is that he focuses on the fact that we sustain each other.  We are our own saviours in that we sustain each other.  Like Milton he understand
s that no man is an island.  At this point I must say that no matter how many layers of entendre you assign to this song the message is the same on every level.

“It is only the giving that makes you what you are.”  Again my young attempts to descend into solitary self-loathing have a voice telling me that this is not the way.  I will not listen for some time but the voice is there none-the-less. 

In light of this the modern or current me finds this song a constant reminder that even in something simple as making toast I need to see that others give themselves to me.  What a beautiful gift that realization is.  I can give to others even if it is only a cup of cold water.  If I do it in love from the heart I am beating life that person.

Giving makes us who or what we are.  If I give only to myself then I become selfish and bloated.  If I give to others I become light and perhaps can float as well.  Will the years treat us well?  Only if we are truly giving to each other.


Wond’ring Aloud – Ian Anderson

Wond'ring aloud -- how we feel today.
Last night sipped the sunset -- my hands in her hair.
We are our own saviours as we start both our hearts beating life into each other.
Wond'ring aloud -- will the years treat us well.
As she floats in the kitchen, I'm tasting the smell
Of toast as the butter runs.
Then she comes, spilling crumbs on the bed and I shake my head.
And it's only the giving that makes you what you are.


Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment