17 May 2013

A Christian Nation – Why We Never Were

Greetings Dear Reader,

I cannot reconcile some of the things done to establish this country with what Christ commands me to be as his follower.  As a Christ follower reading books like A People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn really caused me to examine what the early development of this nation had as a goal.  It seems that we cared much more for resources than we did people.

I agree that there were groups of people that came here with idea of establishing a God or Christ centered society.  I cannot find an instance where slavery, genocide, or greed did not rule instead.  I am not saying that everyone was evil or that there were not good intentions in some cases.

I am saying that we cannot claim to be a Christian nation when we allow slavery and destruction of indigenous people in the name of God.  No matter what destiny we think we have our treatment of Africans and Native Americans is in no way in keeping with the Gospel. 

Taking the name of God for the purpose of gaining wealth and resources is the opposite of the truth of Christ’s message to the world.  Once again those who followed Christ had many opportunities to show his love and grace to people who did not know him.  Once again the politics of greed and exploitation used God as an excuse to motivate the ignorant to deeds of horror and disgrace. 

That God gave us great resources and opportunity in this land is true because all good things come from God.  The founders were correct that the inalienable rights we have are from God.  They were right that there are biblical principles that should guide the development of this nation.  I cannot see a time when the governing built those principles into the nation for all people.

As a follower of Christ I must not harm anyone else in the name of Christ.  I must not use the name of God for my own purposes.  It is not my country right or wrong.  It is not the power of a nation that makes it right.  It is that I must follow all the commands of Christ without anything hindering my pursuit of love and peace.  I must live righteously and be an example to the best of my ability whilst respecting others at a level that they feel neither judged nor condemned by me.  The Gospel is a tool not a weapon.    

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment