06 November 2013

Preparing for Advent – What Did Jesus Teach?

Greetings Dear Reader,

I realize that this question is the size of the universe and I have no hope of covering it in this tiny blog post.  I also realize that it is a question that does not get asked enough.  I am not going to try to answer the entire question here.  It is too much so I will sum up.

When asked what the greatest commandment was Jesus gave a very direct reply.  He said that we are to love God with all that we are.  He said the second commandment; to love our neighbors is just as important.  He ended this conversation by commenting that all of the law and the prophets rest on these two things.

That should be enough.  If we spend our energy following these two commands there is little left for us to be concerned about.  If I focus on following Christ by doing these two things I will cover everything else.  There are other things that matter.  I must follow in faith. I must be singular in my devotion.  I must follow Christ and not some odd rules laid down by other followers. 

It is not that these are the only things to which I must attend.  Jesus taught that I must have faith.  I must care for the poor and needy (my neighbors).  I must love my enemies (neighbors again).  I must give my best in every endeavor.   I must be generous and kind.  I must be humble. 

What Jesus taught is selflessness.  He taught it through actions and words.  Selflessness powered by love for others may be the thing that moves me forward best in my journey.  I do not always succeed at it and I have far to go in mastering it.  As I prepare for Advent though it is vital that I revisit the purpose of my endeavors.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment