18 November 2013

Preparing for Advent – What is my State?

Greetings Dear Reader,

As I prepare my heart and mind for advent I always come up against the struggle I have with sin.  So often I am deterred from my actual intents by my fallen nature.  I always want to do what is wrong but I am still “only human.”

None of that excuses my failure to follow Christ in all that I do.  Some recently told me that someone else is “old and cannot change his behavior.”  That is rubbish.  There is never a time when one cannot choose to do what is right.  I can never use my fallen state as an excuse to do what is wrong.

My state is that I have a nature that works in me to avoid the things that are vital to following Christ.  It works in my heart and my reason to get me to think and feel things that are not Christ centered.

That fallen state is what makes me struggle with sin.  If it did not exist there would be no struggle. The struggle keeps me from complacency in following but I become so weary of it at times.  In my fallen state I have to be constantly aware of my purpose and motivations for what I do.

In pondering Advent and the ensuing celebration I must fight the things I want over the things I need to give.  I must focus on the needs of others and true celebration of Christ.  Anything that is centered on what I want outside of the redemption of all is a function of my fallen state.

Fortunately I am not bound to this state.  I have a choice.  Fortunately Christ sees me differently.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."



No comments:

Post a Comment