14 January 2014

The Glass is ALWAYS Full

Greetings Dear Reader,

When I first encountered this statement and the accompanying graphic I could hear the voice of my eldest Son feigning irritation at me being technical.  I am sure I was literal or technical too often with him.

What struck me as I pondered the statement was that the glass is literally always full.  What we really mean is that we want the glass to be filled with the thing we want.  That the glass contains both air and water is only satisfying if it contains the proportions of air and water that we desire.

This puts me in mind of my attitude about need.  When we truly have a need then it is right to express that need.  That definition of need refers to something that essential to life and health.  In our culture we often use the word need to describe a discrepancy between that which exists and that which we desire.

God promises to provide all my needs according to the magnitude of his ability to provide.  This does not mean that I will get all that I desire but that I will have all that is essential.  God does care about what I desire and will provide those things as well when they match up with following him.

The glass is only half full when we are dissatisfied with the content of the other half.  It is my attitude and discontent that I must manage.  If I feel that I do not have enough of something I want I need to first assess my reason for wanting it.  I must manage my use of “need” in light of that which I truly need and that which I desire.

All of my desires are not bad and some of them are even noble.  I still need to assure that when I view a situation as half full, half empty, or complete that the view is in harmony with what Christ wishes for me.  The glass is always full.  Am I in tune with Christ and his provision for me in a way that I am satisfied with the content?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment