05 September 2017

It Was an Accident ~ A Matter of Purpose

Greetings Dear Reader,

I will not even begin to attempt to answer the question of why we are here.  Even my best theological answers based on years of study still do not ultimately answer the why of it all.  I think I know enough to answer for my own needs but they ultimate why of it eludes me if I am honest. 

Still when those who deny intelligent design in teleological areas speak, they often assume that if there is a designer “x” purpose would be un-served or flawed.  If we do not know the objective of the designer we are in no position to say that the design is flawed.  We cannot honestly critique the design because it does not fit our purpose or thinking.  If I am not the designer then I cannot honestly say, without it being communicated to me by the designer, that I know the purpose.

I think that the assumption that our purpose is the same as the intended purpose of a designer of the universe is arrogant and flawed.  I also think that if we honestly read the literature of those who insist that the initiation of everything is a series of cosmic accidents, we find that they use teleological language to describe the activity of unintelligent actions.

We give a purpose to what has happened no matter what we believe.  Whether it is giving credit to an intentional designer or that “genes emerged and were grabbed by evolution to perform a new task” (Ignacio Mareso) we give intent to actions.  We assume that there is a purpose imposed on actions. 

When faced with choosing whether the amazing cosmos is subject to the intent of an Intelligent Designer or the intent of an evolutionary process the answer seems simple to me.  A Designer with intent is much more reasonable to me than the intent of a process.  The latter leaves too many questions that require faith I do not have.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7/9/17 00:55

    It's true, and a LOT of us try to find our self worth in our purpose here. But really our purpose is to serve God. We are specs in time and in God's creation we only have a short unknown time on this planet we need to keep His purpose alive His creation and His fatherhood over us present in all things.

    ReplyDelete