27 September 2017

Prayer: What Does Not Work ~ Make me Rich

Greetings Dear Reader,

I am not going to waste your time by discussing the absurdity of those who teach that wealth is a sign of faith.  I will not even associate the word “gospel” with that thinking.  It is at least ignorant of what the Gospel is and at best an intentional deception.

We live in a conundrum that can be confusing and so we pray in ways that are not what is best for addressing the Creator of all things.  I am supposed to count on the Father for everything.  He wants us to be totally dependent upon his grace and providence.  This does not mean that God is an ATM.

We ask for things we do not need.  That is not necessarily wrong.  It is not even wrong to be comfortable.  What is wrong is asking for this so that we may consume them for our own pleasures at the neglect of genuine needs of others.  It does not work to ask God for riches so that we can be rich.

I do not want to hide the fact that I seek to earn income from my writing and that the potential for great wealth lies in that endeavor.  Of importance is that there is something more than the desire for money here.  I ask God to use my writing for the benefit of others.  I have a plan in place for how I would use wealth.  I have included in the increase in resources how I would be generous with those resources.

We must be people who practice generosity when we have little so that it will be a habit when we have much.  It does not work to ask God to make you rich.  It does work to ask him to help you learn to be more generous with what you have and how to be dependent upon him for your needs.

I will warn others that the latter half of that comes with great risk.  It is not real risk because all we risk is not knowing how God will provide.  We do not need to know.  We do need to believe and that can be harder than punching a clock at a job we hate.  It can be even harder when we do not have a job.

It can be hard not to just ask God for what you want.  He desires to meet our needs and he will.  What we have to do is seek him and follow with all our hearts.  It does not seem logical and it does not mean that we do not do our part.  We will talk about that tomorrow.  For now, I must remember that the truth is the tightrope between treating God like a blank check and failing to depend on him for everything.

Mercedes Benz – Janis Joplin

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a color TV?
Dialing For Dollars is trying to find me.
I wait for delivery each day until three,
So oh Lord, won't you buy me a color TV?

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a night on the town?
I'm counting on you, Lord, please don't let me down.
Prove that you love me and buy the next round,
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a night on the town?

Everybody!
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends,
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?

That's it!

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment