13 September 2017

Second Thoughts – Counting the Losses

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

Do we still have the ability to empathize with others?  This week is filled with so much loss on so many scales.  There are still people from Key West, Florida to Toccoa, Georgia without electricity.  In the Keys so many cannot even get to their homes to assess the damage.  Basics like food, water, and shelter are in great demand but short supply. 

A continent away a family suffers because a loved one, too young and too alive was suddenly tragically taken from them.  I cannot console them.  I can be there and love them and listen without cliché or advice.  I can be a guardian of grief embracing them from two thousand miles away.  I can be open to their need to rage against the universe, the world, and God.  They are family to me and their loss is not lost in the storm of loss sweeping our world.

We get so caught up in the things that numb our brain that we forget to look for things that need, yea require our compassion.  We come together briefly but now we politicize along the way.  We need to spout our agenda instead of simply loving those in need in the moment.  Worse, we use the loss and grief of others to promote our agenda.  Even if this is a good agenda it is the wrong way to do it.

To those who have lost things, please know that I care.  To those who have lost others to death because of these universal and individual horrors please be sure that I see you and I love you.  Death rides hurricanes, falling trees, and all the secret passages we do not see or suspect.  He comes unbidden and will have the price owed him by every man.  Billions of dollars in property loss devastates those who owned, used, and depended on that property.  I would chuck it all to save the relatively few lives that were lost.    

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment